Connie’s Coronavirus Cooking Chronicles – Recipe 5 – Crab Cakes
Crab cakes are usually pretty expensive at restaurants. However, did you know that they are actually very easy to make and cost just a fraction of the price if you make them at home?
For my husband’s birthday, I made him a crab cake birthday cake (pictured above) since he isn’t a fan of regular cake. Instead of frosting, we had homemade tartar sauce with it. My recipe for crab cakes is below and the tartar sauce recipe is here.
- 1 lb crab meat
- 2 eggs
- 2.5 tbsp mayo
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp Old Bay seasoning
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup celery, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped (or 1.5 tbsp dried parsley, with 1 tsp water stirred into the mixture before adding panko)
- 1/2 cup panko (gluten free panko also works, if you need it to be gluten free)
- olive oil
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl.
- Add the mayo, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, Old bay, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Add the celery and parsley and mix.
- Add the panko and gently mix until compbined.
- Add the crab meat and gently fold until combined.
- Chill in the refrigerator for a few hours.
- Shape into 2.5″ patties (or larger, if you want).
- Heat a skillet with a drizzle of oil on medium heat and fry the patties on both sides until cooked through.
- Serve with homemade tartar sauce! Recipe is here.